Reply To: NP Responsibilities for outpt

• Meghan Belongia

September 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

We use outpatient NPs in our Oncology clinic, and are very autonomous. I assume some of the responsibilities will be dependent on your state laws. That said, as our program is expanding we have been practicing in more specific disease groups although this has been a slow “work in progress”. Personally, I follow most of our NeuroOncology patients along with one other NP. We see both on and off therapy patients in our Oncology clinic. This includes putting in the chemotherapy orders prior to patient arrival, seeing the patient in clinic prior to their chemotherapy, monitoring and responding to any acute side effects of therapy, and assuring they have their follow up/home instructions for discharge. Or this may include seeing chemotherapy patients which then get admitted. These admitted patients have to also be seen by the physician who really “blesses” them as we don’t have admitting privelages with our hospital (this is again hospital dependint).  In addition, we see sick patients coming into clinic which may include patients with nausea, vomiting, fever, sepsis, etc. We are also responsible for reviewing all labs that come into the clinic and ordering blood products.  We have 30 minute appointment slots, and can see up to 12 scheduled patients on any given day +/- sick patients. There is a physician in clinic for which we update/ “staff” with but that physician does not always see every kid. I’d be more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have about NPs in clinic. I think it works well, and may of our staff say that “clinic wouldn’t exist without our NPs”. Good luck!
    ——————————————-
    Meghan Belongia
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-04-2013 11:07 AM
    Subject: NP Responsibilities for outpt

I know this has been asked before so if someone can send me a summary I would apprecaite it.  We are restructuring and  wondered how you utilize NPs in the office – are they population specific (leukemia, solid tumor, etc), only see well pts for chemotherapy, how many pts per day, how many independent visits prior to seeing an MD?  Thanks, Laurie

——————————————-
    Laurie Smith
    Banner Health Cardon Children’s Medical Center
    480-412-7632
    Mesa, AZ
    United States
    ——————————————-