Reply To: Schedules/Compensation

• Mary Baron Nelson

December 29, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hi, Emily. I can only answer with certainty about outpatient NPs, but will take an educated guess at what our inpatient NPs are doing as well.

Outpatient NPs in hem-onc work five 8 hour days. Inpatient NPs work either four 10s or three 12s.
    I think our inpatient NPs see mostly chemo inpatients.I am not sure what their weekend coverage or compensation is like. Outpatient NPs do not provide any weekend or evening coverage, although we many of us will check and respond to email 7 days a week.

Outpatient NP patient loads vary, with some having full clinics 1-3 days a week. A full clinic for us is about 8 patients, but we cover large patient populations (about 150 patients) in somewhat of a care manager role as well – taking phone calls from parents and nursing staff, managing outpatient labs, chemo and diagnostic testing.

I’m not quite sure what you are asking about NPs in a consult role, but we have a wound care NP, pain management and palliative care NPs who work in consult roles.

Mary

——————————————-
    Mary Baron Nelson, CPNP,PHD
    Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-29-2014 05:13 PM
    Subject: Schedules/Compensation

The following questions are regarding the schedules and compensation of nurse practitioners (NP) (or physician assistants) seeing pediatric hem/onc patients at your institution. 

What is a typical schedule for NPs (e.g. 5 days a week, 8 hours/day; 4 days a week, 10 hours/day) in the outpatient and inpatient settings?

What types of inpatients do NPs see (e.g chemo only; any hem/onc inpatient)

Do NPs see patients on the weekend?  Inpatient only?  Do they receive additional pay for this coverage?

Do NPs take call?  Phone availability only or are they physically present in the hospital?  How often?  Do they receive additional pay for this coverage?

Do you have NPs who are weekend only positions or who are PRN or “floaters”? 

What is a typical patient load for NPs in the outpatient setting?  Inpatient setting?  Do you have limits for the number of patients an NP can see? 

Do you have any NPs in a consult role (e.g. infectious disease NP seeing hem/onc patients only)?

Thank you so much for any feedback you can provide.

——————————————-
    Emily Browne, CPNP
    Dir of Professional Development
    St Jude Children’s Research Hospital
    Memphis, TN
    United States
    ——————————————-