Reply To: NP schedules/hours bench-marking

• Pamela Smith

May 24, 2017 at 7:58 am

What is a typical schedule for your NPs (e.g. 5 days a week, 8 hours/day; 4 days a week, 10 hours/day) in the outpatient and inpatient settings?

We currently have two part time NP’s- myself (I am straight part time 20 hours per week and am inpatient/office follow up) and the other NP is split part time heme/onc (infusion center only) split with part time endocrine (Focus on obesity).  I work 4 days per week Mon and Wed 4 hours, Tues and Thurs 6 hours.  I have been a Heme/Onc NP for 18 years and out of practice for 4.  They asked me to return to practice to assist when we dropped down to one doc-I can answer questions about things that we did in the past when I did take call- however, I currently am not taking call or weekend rounding but have done so in the past.  We are in a rebuilding phase of our program (general practice heme/onc COG center-no transplant here but we do follow transplant patients on return home)

What is a typical patient load for NPs in the outpatient setting?  Inpatient setting?  Do you have any caps on the number of patients an NP can see?  No cap on the number seen.  I round with the doc on our inpatients- more of a case manager role, outpatients we have one heme/onc clinic and we both see whoever is there- new or return and if she is tied up with a procedure, no one has to wait to be seen.  Our clinics start at 12:45 and I leave at 2 so often I see 2-3 patients.

What types of patients do NPs see in the inpatient setting (e.g chemo only; any hem/onc/bmt inpatient)? I see all patients with the doc however, we do not have a BMT service.

Do NPs see patients on the weekends?  Do they receive additional pay for this coverage? I do not currently round on the weekends, however when I did, I saw all that were in house (We do not have BMT) and if they were in the ICU, our PICU staff manages but I always checked in with the docs and families to make sure there were no questions.  Our PICU takes over management of patients once transferred to the unit regardless of NP or no NP.

Do NPs take call?  Is this phone availability only or are they physically present in the hospital?  How often?  Do they receive additional pay for this coverage?  I do not currently take call however when I did, I was phone available with physician back up.  I did not go in “in the night” to see patients.  I coordinated admissions with our Peds service team and we had a F/N protocol we followed for orders.  I would round the next day- Admitting Docs were required to see the patient within 24 hours so they came in at their convenience to see or they had the PEds service attending see the patient.  At that time, I would take every other weekend.  Initially, they paid me a fee for hours on call then it moved to part of my salary base.  I took one night per week (Thursdays) and it worked well with our physician coverage.

Do you have NPs who are weekend only positions, PRN, or “floaters”? NO

May I list your answers in a compilation document and share it with all who respond to this question?

Yes, I would love the compilation document.

Pam Smith, MSN, RN, FNP-C

Nurse Practitioner

Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Section

WVU Pediatric Department

(304)388-1564

——Original Message——

What is a typical schedule for your NPs (e.g. 5 days a week, 8 hours/day; 4 days a week, 10 hours/day) in the outpatient and inpatient settings?

8 hour days, both inpatient and outpatient.  Our NP’s work a variety of FTE’s from 1.0-0.6

What is a typical patient load for NPs in the outpatient setting?  Inpatient setting?  Do you have any caps on the number of patients an NP can see? 

Outpatient – can see up to 10 patients a day – allowed on schedule, no real cap as can be double booked.  Most often volume is 7-8 patients a day

Inpatient – sees 5-6 patients a day

What types of patients do NPs see in the inpatient setting (e.g chemo only; any hem/onc/bmt inpatient)?

We don’t have BMT but our NP’s can see any patient who is hospitalized.  They will see patients in the ICU, ill patients on the floor and patients getting chemo

Do NPs see patients on the weekends?  Do they receive additional pay for this coverage?

Yes and they get a day back for each weekend they round. 

Do NPs take call?  Is this phone availability only or are they physically present in the hospital?  How often?  Do they receive additional pay for this coverage?

Yes, but we are looking to go to a hemonc hospitalist model for 24-7 coverage in the hospital and that person would answer outpatient calls as well.  They do this from home.  2 nights a month.  They get a day back for each call night.

Do you have NPs who are weekend only positions, PRN, or “floaters”? 

No

May I list your answers in a compilation document and share it with all who respond to this question?

Yes, I would love the compilation document.

Vicki Schaefers, MS, RN, CNP-AC/PC  
    Clinic Manager
    Cancer & Blood Disorders
    Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
    2530 Chicago Avenue South
    Mailstop CSC 175
    Minneapolis, MN 55404
    Clinic: 612-813-5940
    Voicemail: 612-813-6543
    Pager: 651-629-3539
    Email:  vicki.schaefers@childrensMN.org

Confidentiality Statement: