Reply To: Bone Marrow/LP training for NPs

• Patricia Wills-Bagnato

August 14, 2018 at 11:39 am

Hello all,

I am responsible for overseeing training and competency here in our cancer center.

We use the literature in UpToDate on how to perform procedures, and potential complications (BMs, LPs).

We also have certain guideines (eg. minimum platelet count, IVs, isolation precautions, etc.) that each proceduralist must read and follow.  These are specific to our institution.

Each potential proceduralist (trainee) must perform 10 aspirates, 10 biopsies, 10 LPs with chemo, and demonstrate ability to “run the show” in our PACU area in order to be upgraded to “independent”  by Medical Staff Services.

I oversee the final check-off (or a senior proceduralist that I designate) and submit the request for upgrade to Med Staff.

The trainee goes a day a week until they’ve accomplished this.  It can take several weeks to get up to speed.

Each APP must also have billing privileges to be independent.

If you email me directly, I can send you our competency checklists.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat Wills Bagnato, MSN, RN, CPNP, CPHON®

Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine

Texas Children’s Cancer and Hematology Centers

Associate Director-Clinical Division, Advanced Practice Providers

832-824-6718

pwbagnat@txch.org/txch

God bless America! Image result for breast cancer awareness

authorized representative of the intended recipient, you
    are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or
    copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or
    the information contained herein is prohibited. If you
    have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
    notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail
    from your computer system. Thank you.

——Original Message——

​Hi Elizabeth,

My fellow NP’s and I started to do procedures a few years ago and we were interested in training and found a hands on workshop at a conference held every November.

APSHO (Advanced Practitioner Society for Hematology/Oncology) has their conference JADPRO live where they offer Hands-on skills (bone marrow aspiration, lumbar puncture, Ommaya reservoir access, punch biopsy, and suturing). This year the conference is Nov 1st – 4th in Hollywood, FL.

this is the link to their website. 2018 JADPRO Live @ APSHO Conference

We found it to be very helpful. This conference is adult focused, but there were plenty of topics that applied to peds as well for the rest of the conference.

My co-worker also found several instructional videos on-line that she just searched for in a search engine that were also helpful, but I don’t have any specific ones.

The workshop is a pre-conference workshop and only limited seating is available so it fills up fast as many want this and this was the only place I could find some training being provided.

Hope this helps.

——————————
    Michele Pope, CPON,MSN,PNP-BC
    Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
    Orlando, FL
    United States
    ——————————