Reply To: New NP role

• Pamela Smith

February 1, 2020 at 1:49 pm

I hope you found the answer to this- I am in a similar role- I provide new patient/family education and write a note (Typically inpatient).  It is billed based on time so I put my time in and time out then write a note as to what we covered and what handouts I gave.  The physician who is rounding that day references my education in their note and our biller bills my time in additio to the note from the day.

——————————
    Pamela Smith, FNP-C,MSN,RN
    Charleston, WV
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-28-2017 10:41 AM
    Subject: New NP role

​Just looking for some insight – I will be completed my NP in May ’18 and then joining the heme/onc team I work for currently as their NP. This will be a new role for us, never had a NP with this team. My question is, what are some of the roles you fulfill as an NP where you work? I will be seeing some patients but also providing education to families of new diagnoses, doing some survivorship work, etc. Since this is a new role we will be exploring some options and where I will best fit. Billing wise, what can you all bill for where you are located? Does the education you provide to patients and their families ever billed as a service? Any information you can provide would be great ! Thank you!

——————————
    Ashlee Blumhoff, PCNS-BC, MSN, CPHON
    Sanford Children’s
    Sioux Falls, SD
    ——————————