Reply To: Call to Action for Increased Governmental Funding for Cancer Research

• no-user-found

May 14, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Hello JD,

Thank you very much for sharing this petition supporting the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act 2.0. This is legislation that APHON supports officially, and the Advocacy Committee is planning on creating a VoterVoice message to share the petition with our members again. This will allow us to send it directly to President Biden and Congress.

I encourage you to visit the Advocacy/Health Policy page for more information on our advocacy work and please let me know if you have any questions or would like to get more involved. Thanks again for posting.

Best,

Dominic 

——————————
    Dominic Sawaya, JD, MPPA
    Manager of Health Policy and Advocacy
    Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses (APHON)
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 05-10-2021 10:08 AM
    Subject: Call to Action for Increased Governmental Funding for Cancer Research

Hello colleagues,

Please take a moment to read this article, written by cancer Mom and CNN correspondent Rene Marsh, about her son Blake, and the need for increased governmental funding. In 2018, only 5% of the US’ $6 billion budget was spent on pediatric cancer research. Our patients are worth more than 5%. 

René Marsh: This Mother’s Day, join the fight against pediatric cancer

CNN remove preview
    René Marsh: This Mother’s Day, join the fight against pediatric cancer
    It’s been 25 days since my son Blake died in my arms after battling brain cancer for nearly a year and a half, writes René Marsh. Every day – and especially today – I mourn the daily joys of being Blake’s mom that pediatric brain cancer stole.
    View this on CNN >

Rene has created a petition to urge President Biden to include pediatric cancer as part of his national plan, to create an initiative for the U.S. government to partner with the pharmaceutical industry to incentivize and require more aggressive development of pediatric cancer drugs, and urges Congress to increase overall government research funding for pediatric cancer and pass the bipartisan Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act 2.0. Please see below to sign the petition.

Sign the Petition

Change.org remove preview
    Sign the Petition
    Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among children in the United States. Nearly 16,000 children and adolescents will be diagnosed with cancer in 2021 and nearly 2,000 will die of the disease, according to the National Cancer Institute. Despite these facts the federal government does not adequately fund pediatric cancer research.
    View this on Change.org >

Please feel free forward this. Thank you for your time!

-JD

——————————
    JD Murphy MS CPNP-AC CPHON
    Pediatric Oncology/BMT Nurse Practitioner at The Johns Hopkins Hospital
    DNP Executive Student at Johns Hopkins University
    Baltimore, MD USA
    jmurph89@jhmi.edu
    ——————————