Reply To: Administration of vasopressors on the ward prior to PICU transfer

• Deleted User

January 20, 2022 at 2:01 pm

We are not doing this at this time, although I see that some areas may be in different situations. We have discussed the possibility pre-pandemic, as an attempt to avoid short transfers to PICU for low dose pressor support for our transplant patients, but it would require a lot of changes and education for our bedside nurses and additionally our fellows that cover overnight thought this would be difficult to be responsible for covering these additional high acuity patients in addition to the rest of the unit.

I am interested to hear what other centers are doing.

Thanks,
    Liz

——————————
    Liz Sheldon CPNP, PCNS-BC, CPHON
    Rady Children’s Hospital – San Diego
    BMT NP/CNS
    esheldon@rchsd.org
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-19-2022 03:37 PM
    Subject: Administration of vasopressors on the ward prior to PICU transfer

Traditionally, vasopressor support requires ICU monitoring.  In these crazy times of short staffing, full ICUs, and increased acuity across the health care systems, the immediate ability to transfer a septic patient to the ICU is not guaranteed.

Is anyone initiating vasopressors on the floor/ward while awaiting an available ICU bed or critical care RN?  If so, would you be willing to share your parameters and guidelines for doing so?

Disclaimer:  I am not advocating for this process change, simply data gathering from peers!

——————————
    Terri Boyce, DNP, APRN, CPNP-AC, CPHON
    Nurse Practitioner
    OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
    ——————————