Reply To: APP Orientation

• Shelby Boone

January 12, 2023 at 12:00 pm

Hi Katie,

We have separate orientations for our inpatient and outpatient programs.  For inpatient, we plan for an 11 week orientation program.  I give everyone 11 weeks, though those with prior APP or Heme/Onc experience many times can be “signed off” a week early if they are able to take the max # of patients effectively and their preceptors agree they are ready.  Some new grads need an extra week or two– but overall the average is 11 weeks.  The first week is didactic only, and then week two and onward is spent on the unit paired with an APP preceptor.  I can give you further detail if you’d like it on what that looks like.

For outpatient, the orientation is a little longer as our outpatient APPs bill and therefore must be billing approved before coming off orientation (typically ~3 months).  We again do one week of didactics and then a day shadowing each of the specialty areas.  After that they are immersed in their respective specialty area, always paired with an APP preceptor.  Again, happy to give more detail here if it would be helpful.

For our didactic training, we did it all in-house with lectures from our more experienced APPs in each disease areas recording lectures.  Plus some additional general topics (electrolyte management, fluid management, etc.).  I do know that the American Society of Peds Heme Onc (ASPHO) has an online course that I’ve heard great things about.  It’s not free so obviously would need buy in from your institution.  As far as other requirements they’re mostly related to credentialling, research training, and Chemo/Bio certification.   

Happy to discuss more!

——————————
    Shelby Boone, MSN, APRN, CPNP-AC, CPN
    Director for Advanced Practice Providers
    Texas Children’s Hospital Cancer and Hematology Centers
    Houston, TX
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-17-2022 01:06 PM
    Subject: APP Orientation

Our department is seeing a lot of growth, to include expansion to a satellite hospital. As a result we are preparing to onboard a large number of new APP’s within our division. I’m curious what the orientation process looks like in other locations.

How long is the orientation process for your APP’s? Does that change if they have prior APP experience or prior hem/onc nursing experience?

Do you have a checklist of orientation requirements? If so, would you mind sharing it?

Is your orientation different for inpatient or outpatient roles? Do they orient only to their specific specialty area? Do they have a designated preceptor or work with whoever is there that day?

Do you pull from any education resources in your hospital (I.e. – nursing education, fellow education)? Do you use any resources from national groups?

Thanks all for any input!
    😁

——————————
    Katie Newton, DNP, CPNP, CPHON
    Primary Children’s Hospital
    Salt Lake City, UT
    United States
    ——————————