Reply To: Outpatient Scheduling Recommendations

• Barbara Cuccovia

October 22, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Hi Jack,
    I received an email from you but I can’t seem to find it in this discussion:
    That is helpful information! We are looking to institute flexible scheduling blocks and fill those according to pt needs. We also see pre-transplants and long term follow-ups, so this becomes challenging when we only have 4 rooms.

How do the general schedulers know which patients need to go where? Are the schedulers RNs or are they clerical staff that are informed by practitioners on what time slots they need? I’m especially interested in your flow for how you schedule and coordinate patients that are coming multiple days per week. Thank you! 

Jack Constant, RN
    Response:

Our schedulers are non-clinical staff. The providers fill out a detailed appointment request form that states this is a SCT patient and then it has some prompts asking if the lab draw needs to be timed for CSA patients, etc and so if they check that off the schedulers have guidelines that prompts them to know this needs to be booked between 8-10am. If a patient is coming in for multiple days the provider would request all of these appointments and then the schedulers place them. We are hoping to move to disease based schedulers in the upcoming year.

Feel free to reach out to me….barbara_cuccovia@dfci.harvard.edu

——————————
    Barbara Cuccovia, BMTCN,CPON,MSN,RN
    Brighton, MA
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-02-2020 02:45 PM
    Subject: Outpatient Scheduling Recommendations

The outpatient PBMT clinical setting creates unique challenges when creating a schedule for patients coming to clinic. These challenges occur when seeing multiple kinds of patients in the same setting: recently discharged patients that still require medical attention and hands on care, performing pre-transplant work-ups, and attending to long term follow-ups.

With these challenges in mind, how do other facilities and ambulatory clinics schedule their outpatient visits? Do patients have discrete appointment times that are adhered to strictly, or are there windows of time in which patients can arrive? Who schedules their appointments and how does this get communicated to patients? Overall, I’m looking to hear how work flow occurs in BMT clinics with regards to scheduling. Thanks!

——————————
    Jack Constant, BSN, RN, CPN
    Durham, NC
    United States
    ——————————