Reply To: Palliative Care Suites

• Deborah Lafond

October 27, 2016 at 7:19 am

I am sorry for not responding to this earlier!  It got lost in my inbox.

We initially had a palliative care suite, well really just a very large double room, that we designated for end of life care patients.  The room was used for other patients when there was not an end of life patient.  We did not have any specific equipment or décor in the room, but we had a comfort cart that we could move into the room.  The comfort cart had things on it to make the room a bit more home like and items for patient/family comfort. 

We have since moved to just using the comfort cart in any room.  The reason we moved away from a designated room is that there was stigma attached to the room, i.e. parents saying “I know you are only put in that room to die.”  We use the comfort cart in any room on the Heme/Onc and BMT unit or for Heme/Onc patients in the PICU.  We also have another cart that is used on other units throughout the hospital.  I am happy to share the contents of the comfort cart, if that would be helpful to anyone. 

Thanks,   Debbie

Deborah A. Lafond, DNP, PPCNP-BC, CPON, CHPPN

Nurse Practitioner

PANDA Palliative Care Team, Division of Hospitalist Medicine

Children’s National Health System

111 Michigan Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20010-2970

PANDA Voice Mail: (202) 476-4256

Office:  (202) 476-2194

Fax:  (202) 476-6105

Email:  dlafond@childrensnational.org

We stand for children.

http://www.ChildrensNational.org

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

——Original Message——

Good afternoon,

I am interested in talking with those of you who work at hospitals who utilize a “palliative care suite” for your patients and families at the end-of-life.

How often is this suite used and what is done with the suite when it is not in use for end-of-life care. 

In my institution we are beginning to discuss what a palliative care suite might look like in the daily functioning of the inpatient units. What the cost of maintaining this area would be and how efficient this space becomes for the hospital as a whole.

Thank you for your response and willingness to share your experience.

Mary-Fran

——————————
    Mary Fran McGeary RN,BSN,CPHON
    Nurse Coordinator,Sunflower Kids
    Connecticut Children’s Medical Center
    Hartford, CT 06106
    United States
    mmcgeary@connecticutchildrens.org
    ——————————