Reply To: Sickle Cell Non-compliance

• Christina McGrisken

February 15, 2022 at 9:42 pm

We struggle with compliance in the Bronx. I agree with Jennifer, it is really important to celebrate those small strides and consider life at home. We try to bring our high risk patients in more frequently, however, sometimes I think its a challenge because then we are adding one more task which takes away from another (for example- some patients come see hematology and then miss the ophtho/pulm/neuro/etc).

We have been trying to refer as many patients as possible and that are interested to health home programs that can provide more outpatient support in the community. Some of our case managers have developed strong relationships with our families. 

We are also trying to work more closely with our transition age patients and providing more consistent care through the use of a primary NP. Developing relationships with some of our teens has helped to increase compliance once they’re able to take the burden away from their parents and own their care.

——————————
    Christina McGrisken, FNP-BC
    Sickle Cell Nurse Practitioner
    The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
    Bronx, New York
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 02-04-2022 09:48 AM
    Subject: Sickle Cell Non-compliance

Hello all,

I am interested in how other facilities are handling sickle cell patients and non-compliance. Specifically, concerning refugee patients from the Congo. How are your facilities overcoming language and cultural barriers to promote compliance? Are you seeing the same trends in non-compliance at your institution?  I am looking for better ways to help serve this population.

Thank you,

Andrea Haggard APRN
    andrea.haggard@uky.edu
    Kentucky Children’s Hospital

——————————
    Andrea Haggard, APRN,RN
    Lexington, KY
    United States
    ——————————