Reply To: Consent to communicate with transition age SCD patients who are still minors

• Donna Doulton

February 18, 2022 at 8:55 am

That is a great idea! I have only received verbal consent! I might have to think about doing the same.  Thanks. DMD

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 2/17/2022 6:44:00 PM
    Subject: Consent to communicate with transition age SCD patients who are still minors

Hi all!  We are in the process of developing curriculum and materials for our SCD transition program.  Some of our teen patients and their caregivers have been open to begin this transition process by allowing us to communicate directly with the patients, either by email or phone conversations.  We are wanting to formalize this by having discussions with all of our teen patients and their caregivers about this option, but the question of parental consent to have direct communication with their minor child is something that we have recently thought about.  I recently drafted a consent form that we would like to trial but wanted to check with the APHON hematology community first to see if this has come up at your facility and if anyone else uses a consent for these types of discussions.  The consent that I have drafted basically says that a parent allows us (SCD RN Coordinators) to have direct communication with their minor child and asks what that preferred contact method is, whether email or phone, or both.  There is also on option for the parent to specify if they would like to be included in communication, specifically with emails. (Purpose of the emails will primarily be to share educational content related to transition).  It also specifies that the purpose of the communication is for educational purposes only and that any medical issues will be deferred as per our normal clinic policy.  Again, the overall goal for these types of discussions is to initiate medical independence for our teen patients with sickle cell disease.    

Appreciate any feedback if you have run into this in your practice.  Thanks!

Kristina Harrison MSN, RN, CPN, CPHON
    Sickle Cell Nurse Coordinator
    Children’s Blood and Cancer Center
    Dell Children’s Ascension

——————————
    Kristina Harrison, RN
    Austin, TX
    United States
    ——————————