Reply To: Use of blood collection bag/stop cock with partial manual exchanges and therapeutic phlebotomies

• Dilnasheen Safdar

December 29, 2022 at 2:03 am

Hello Victoria
    That sound good. we are not doing as you practiced in your institute but this is looking good.
    Regards

——————————
    Dilnasheen Safdar, BSN
    Head nurse Haem-onco/Manager infection prevention and control
    Lahore
    Pakistan
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-28-2022 03:20 PM
    Subject: Use of blood collection bag/stop cock with partial manual exchanges and therapeutic phlebotomies

Good afternoon,

My name is Victoria Bell and I’m clinical instructor for the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders outpatient infusion clinics at Children’s Hospital in DC. Our institution is looking into changing our practice with partial manual exchanges/therapeutic phlebotomies. Currently we utilize multiple 10-20ml syringes to pull off the ordered amounts which requires repeated line entries. We are considering switching to more of a closed system by using a 4 way stop cock, 10-20ml syringes and a fluid collection bag (Please see attachment for proposed set up). I’m only aware of 3 institutions that use a similar concept (Children’s Hospital Colorado, Memorial Care, and Texas Children’s). Do any of your institutions utilize a similar process for your PME/TP procedures? My biggest concern is whether utilizing a more extensive set up will make it more difficult to pull blood from the line/risk the PIV clotting off. Is there a minimum gauge PIV needle required to minimize drawing issues? (We mainly use 22G PIVs at this time). Any other barriers you’ve noticed?

Thank you!!

——————————
    Victoria Bell, RN
    Bowie, MD
    United States
    ——————————