Reply To: Nurse-Led Multidisciplinary Rounds

• Donna Copeland

May 18, 2016 at 8:45 am

Good morning,

I was wondering if you would be willing to share your rounding tool? I am trying to revise our process for rounding and would like to make sure that I am covering everything that I need to prompt the nurse.

Thanks,

Donna Copeland DNP, RN, CPN, CPON 

——————————
    Donna Copeland, CPON,MSN,RN
    USA Childrens and Womens Hospital
    Mobile, AL
    United States
    ————————————————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 04-26-2016 08:27 PM
    Subject: Nurse-Led Multidisciplinary Rounds

Please see my answers below.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

1) Does your heme/onc and/or stem cell transplant unit(s) have nurse-led rounds?  BMT yes

2) Who all is involved in this rounding process? Attending, fellow, PAs, Pharmacy, Nurse taking care of patient, sometimes CNS or unit based educator and sometimes an outpatient PA or NP.

3) Does your unit employ a rounding template/tool?  Yes

4) How did your unit foster buy-in from physicians and nurses alike?  The attendings suggested this, had the nurses help develop the report tool.  Has taken some time to get it hard wired but the nurses like it and feel empowered.  We still struggle sometimes to get the nurse there but it is working.  We actually presented this at ASBMT in February and we did a questionnaire about perception.  Will probably do a follow up one. 

Thanks,

Joan

Joan O’Hanlon Curry, RN, MS, CPNP, CPON

Administrative Nurse Manager/Pediatric Nurse Practitioner

CHAM 9 and Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and Marrow and Blood Cell Transplantation

3415 Bainbridge Avenue

Bronx, NY 10467

(O) 718-741-2137

(F)  718-920-6506

(B)  917-956-3995

johanlon@montefiore.org