Reply To: Environmental Cleanliness

• Ashley Picca

February 6, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Hi Amber!

We use EPIC at our institution and worked with our SPS team lead and head of PHO CLABSI prevention to have a flowsheet built in Epic for documentation where we document prevention for CLABSI.  The flowsheet includes all high touch surfaces and daily care ADLs and also includes a place to document vascular access. It took about a year to have this built and another 6months to begin fully implementing. We were able to create a prompt on our patient lists that lights up and tells you when one of the prevention items are due (mouth care, or linen change, IV pole wipe down…etc). 
    We didn’t have any pushback regarding improper documentation – and these were all things we were already looking at in our root cause analysis if we had a CLABSI or MBI CLABSI.  It took a bit to gain nurse buy in (as most changes do) but we seem to be improving each month!

——————————
    Ashley Varnes, MSN, RN, CPHON, CPN, BMTCN
    Clinical Practice Nurse Expert
    7B Pediatric Subspecialty
    Hematology/Oncology/BMT
    MUSC Children’s Hospital
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 02-06-2020 04:26 PM
    Subject: Environmental Cleanliness

​Hi Everyone!

I’m curious how other institutions document that they have completed wiping down their high touch surfaces. We currently document on paper charts left in the patients room, however compliance with this has been poor.

I would like to have this be in the EMR as all other portions of the environmental cleanliness initiative (minus housekeeping) are already documented there, but I’m receiving some push back from our developers. The EMR developers are concerned that if a patient were to get an infection while hospitalized and there is insufficient charting that it could negatively impact the institution.

I’m hoping that I can get info from some other institutions to support what we are requesting.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

——————————
    Amber Reiten RN, BSN
    Nurse Care Coordinator
    Pediatric Oncology
    University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital
    Iowa City, IA
    ——————————