Reply To: Environmental Cleanliness

• Jennifer Nordin

February 7, 2020 at 9:07 am

We had a field created in Cerner when we were running reports, but now it is supposed to be performed per our infection control policy. We just speak to our process as an extension of that.

Electronic mail from Children’s Mercy Kansas City. This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may contain information that is privileged or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately forward the message to the Children’s Mercy Information Security Officer via return electronic mail at informationsecurityofficer @cmh.edu and expunge this communication without making any copies. Thank you for your cooperation.

——Original Message——

​Hi Everyone!

I’m curious how other institutions document that they have completed wiping down their high touch surfaces. We currently document on paper charts left in the patients room, however compliance with this has been poor.

I would like to have this be in the EMR as all other portions of the environmental cleanliness initiative (minus housekeeping) are already documented there, but I’m receiving some push back from our developers. The EMR developers are concerned that if a patient were to get an infection while hospitalized and there is insufficient charting that it could negatively impact the institution.

I’m hoping that I can get info from some other institutions to support what we are requesting.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

——————————
    Amber Reiten RN, BSN
    Nurse Care Coordinator
    Pediatric Oncology
    University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital
    Iowa City, IA
    ——————————