Reply To: Closed System Transfer Device

• Lisa Cox

April 21, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Hello,

My last hospital switched from Spiros to Equashield.  If I remember correctly Spiros is not NIOSH approved as it doesn’t protect from vapors.  I much prefer Equashield as the two pieces lock in together, and I have never had any problems.  I have had some leaky Spiros in the past.  

Good luck!

——————————
    Lisa Cox, BSN, RN, CPHON,CPN
    Lake Worth, FL
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 04-21-2020 11:46 AM
    Subject: Closed System Transfer Device

Yes – we did re-education last year and have had continued problems with increasing frequency.

We also switched to the spinning spiros when all of this began a couple of years ago.

Our quality and safety manager put out a message with SPS and had many replies with similar Spiros issues.

During a meeting today with Spiros they said that the issue may lie with our tubing. We use BD tubing and Spiros said that the BD tubing has one less thread and that could be an issue and recommended an extension piece with a bonded spiros. 

We are looking to trial three different products (including the bonded spiros extension) and curious as to what other institutions use and their thoughts?

Ashley Varnes, MSN, RN, CPHON, CPN, BMTCN

Clinical Practice Nurse Expert

Cancer and Blood Disorders Unit

Pediatric Hematology/Oncology

Medical University of South Carolina

Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital 

843-985-1686

varnesa@musc.edu

Original Message——

First step is to re-educate:  are the staff pushing it first into the tubing (I keep the Spiros in the package and take the back of my hand to engage or push it to the end of the tubing and then twist. 

If that does not work ICU medical makes a c clip goes between the spiros and spin collar….have them bring you a sample! (ICU medical)

Thanks,

Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn Rae, MSN, RN, CPHON

NPD Practitioner/Clinical Educator Hem/Onc/SCT

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago

T 312.227.4224 | mlrae@luriechildrens.org | luriechildrens.org

225 East Chicago Avenue, Box 248, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2991

Quote/Inspiration

Make kindness the norm

Image result for quotes on being kind vs. unkind

APHON Chicago Chapter President

image006.jpg@01D455CA.162671C0