Reply To: Staffing Guidelines

• Kelly Forgrave

July 17, 2020 at 6:33 pm

Thank you Vanessa. Would you happen to have an acuity tool/grid that staff utilizes when assigning patients for the day? If so, could you share it with me? 

Kelly

——————————
    Kelly Forgrave, RN,CPHON,CPN
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-17-2020 11:43 AM
    Subject: Staffing Guidelines

Depends on patient acuity and also the geography of a unit, but generally, we try to keep our inpatient HemOnc assignments 3/1, sometimes 2/1 if they are very sick, on Unituxin, Stem Cell Transplant day, or palliative-actively dying.

BMT, which we don’t do here, but I did for six years elsewhere, was most often 2/1. 
    Hope this helps!
    Vanessa 

Sent from my iPhone

Original Message:
    Sent: 7/17/2020 10:40:00 AM
    Subject: Staffing Guidelines

Good Morning,

My name is Kelly, and I wanted to reach out to my fellow Hem/Onc/BMT colleagues with a couple of questions/concerns.

Our unit has been struggling with staffing-ratios/patient-assignments, and I was hoping you could provide some guidelines and/or grids from other institutions explaining how to staff with appropriate staffing-ratios (for Hem/Onc units).

Additionally, I also would like to know what the typical nurse-to-patient ratio for BMT units is, and guidelines on when to increase that ratio when necessary. (For example, is a 3:1 ratio appropriate for BMT?)

Any information will be greatly appreciative. Hopefully I can present any/all feedback to improve the efficiency of our unit.

Thank you all for being part of this specialty! Sending all the best to all ya’ll.

Kelly

——————————
    Kelly Forgrave, RN,CPHON,CPN

——————————