• Carie Murphy

January 20, 2022 at 6:46 am

We, fortunately, have not had to do this, dare I say “yet.” 

Carie Murphy, MSN, RN, CPON

Assistant Nurse Manager

Weaver Tower 4/Pediatric Hematology Oncology

(904)202-0460

Carie.Murphy@bmcjax.com

NOTICE: This message is confidential, intended for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is (i) proprietary to the sender, and/or,(ii) privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable Florida and federal law, including, but not limited to, privacy standards imposed pursuant to the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”). Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any applicable privilege. Thank you in advance for your compliance with this notice.

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 1/19/2022 4:38:00 PM
    Subject: Administration of vasopressors on the ward prior to PICU transfer

Traditionally, vasopressor support requires ICU monitoring.  In these crazy times of short staffing, full ICUs, and increased acuity across the health care systems, the immediate ability to transfer a septic patient to the ICU is not guaranteed. 

Is anyone initiating vasopressors on the floor/ward while awaiting an available ICU bed or critical care RN?  If so, would you be willing to share your parameters and guidelines for doing so?

Disclaimer:  I am not advocating for this process change, simply data gathering from peers!

——————————
    Terri Boyce, DNP, APRN, CPNP-AC, CPHON
    Nurse Practitioner
    OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
    ——————————