Reply To: Cap Changes

• Carie Murphy

February 21, 2022 at 9:15 am

We do not change with TPN/IL or with tubing changes, but we do with all the other scenarios that you stated.  Our facility has taken the position that based on the evidence, you have an increased risk for a positive CVL infection the more you go into the line.  There may be new evidence out there that we may not be aware of, and, if so, could you point me to that newer evidence?  Good questions, though.  I am interested to see what others are doing, too.

Carie Murphy, MSN, RN, CPON

Assitant Nurse Manager, Weaver 4

Peds Hem/Onc/BMT Educator

Wolfson Children’s Hospital

800 Prudential Drive, Weaver Tower 4

Jacksonville, FL  32207

( (904)202-0520

* Carie.Murphy@bmcjax.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://wolfsonchildrens.org/Style%20Library/Images/wch/logo.gif

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.  Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.

NOTICE: This message is confidential, intended for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is (i) proprietary to the sender, and/or,(ii) privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable Florida and federal law, including, but not limited to, privacy standards imposed pursuant to the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”). Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any applicable privilege. Thank you in advance for your compliance with this notice.

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 2/18/2022 12:30:00 PM
    Subject: Cap Changes

Hello,

We are currently reevaluating our central line policy and discussing the frequency of cap changes.  Currently we are changing them prior to blood cultures, q24 hr with TPN/lipids, if blood/debris is noted and q96 hrs with tubing changes.  We are also changing them with each routine dressing change. I’m am curious to know what everyone’s current practice is for cap changes.  Are you all also changing them with dressing changes even if the lines are heparin locked/not being used?  My concern is specifically the neutropenic population if we transition to not changing them unless under these scenarios. Are any of you not changing them and, if so, have you seen any adverse changes?

Thank you for your input!

Jacqueline Orozco BSN RN CPHON
    Medical Surgical Unit
    McLane Children’s Medical Center
    Baylor Scott and White Health

——————————
    Jacqueline Orozco, BSN,RN,CPHON
    Pflugerville, TX
    United States
    ——————————