Reply To: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

• Jacklyn Tillman

August 30, 2022 at 1:42 pm

I work on a peds med surg unit covering our heme/once, GI, and renal services. We staff our Dinutuximab and bliny 2:1. Riuximab is staffed 2:1 as well if it’s their first dose or they’ve had a history of reactions to it.

——————————
    Jacklyn Tillman, BSN,CPHON
    Ham Lake, MN
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-30-2022 11:38 AM
    Subject: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

Hi Alyssa,

I’m in the very same boat right now defending all of our staffing ratios, but especially anything 2:1. I have not been able to find much at all in regards to staffing ratios for pediatric oncology patients, much less staffing ratios for specific therapies, in a literature review. The comments I’ve found here have been my best resource so far, but if you find others, please share!

We put Dinatuxumab patients in a 2:1 assignment, though staffing constraints continue to make that very challenging. They are usually on a ketamine drip with our pain team managing that component.  Our blinatumomab patients we staff in a 3:1 ratio. I hope you get a robust number of responses to this thread because benchmarking would be helpful!

——————————
    Erin Jones, MHA, BSN, RN, CCRN-K | Patient Services Manager III
    5 Children’s | Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplant, and Cardiology
    NC Children’s Hospital
    UNC Health
    Chapel Hill, NC
    ——————————

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-30-2022 07:34 AM
    Subject: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

Hello everyone!
    I am the assistant nurse manager at Hackensack UMC in Hackensack, NJ and I am looking for documentation to support my inpatient unit’s 1:2 nurse:patient staffing ratio for blinatumomab, dinutuximab, and other biotherapy infusions.  I am in the process of conducting a literature search but not having much luck.  Would you mind sharing your hospital name and pediatric biotherapy infusion staffing ratios (specifically blina & dinutux if possible)?  Also, if anyone has literature to support lower staffing ratios for these infusions I would sincerely appreciate it!  Thank you in advance!!

——————————
    Alyssa Henderson, RN, BSN, CPHON
    Inpatient Peds Heme/Onc/BMT Assistant Nurse Manager
    Hackensack, NJ
    ——————————