Reply To: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

• Anna Urosev

August 30, 2022 at 3:47 pm

I would be happy to participate Mindy! I’m sure we are all struggling with similar issues and could learn a lot from each other.

——————————
    Anna Cirone, MSN,RN
    Clinical Nurse Educator
    Chicago, IL
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-30-2022 01:09 PM
    Subject: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

I have been considering circulating a survey evaluating staffing ratios/models for both inpatient and ambulatory practice sites. Is this something people would be willing to participate in? We could either the responses or make them anonymous.

——————————
    Mindy Bibart, DNP RN CPHON NEA-BC CSSBB
    Director of Patient Care Services, Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplant
    Patient Safety Director
    Nationwide Children’s Hospital
    Columbus, OH
    ——————————

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-30-2022 12:14 PM

We have the patient in intermediate care while getting dinutuximab and staff 1:1 during the shift we start the infusion and 2:1 after this. Patients are staffed 3:1 when giving Blinatumomab.

Susan Marquart, RN, BSN, CPN, CPHON
    Sanford Children’s Hospital
    Fargo, ND

Sent from my iPhone

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/30/2022 1:06:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

We also staff dinutuximab patients in a 2:1 ratio while the chimeric is infusing or during the shift that will have to begin/continue the infusion as it is time intensive and requires more intensive patient care, especially when receiving ironotecan & temodar.  We also staff 3:1 in between doses if patient is stable, but keep in a 2:1 in between doses if patient is unstable.

For Blino, we staff 2:1 for initial infusion and until patient is deemed stable or is sent home after the first bag change. 

Both are driven by frequency of vital signs, dose changes, patient stability, and pain control.  It is important for the RN to be able to respond immediately to changes in the patient’s condition or concerns for escalation of care.  This is why we staff those agents as we do.  Hope this helps. 

Carie Murphy, MSN, RN, CPON

Peds Hem/Onc/BMT Educator

Wolfson Children’s Hospital

800 Prudential Drive, Weaver Tower 4

Jacksonville, FL  32207

( (904)202-0520

* Carie.Murphy@bmcjax.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: <a href=“>http://wolfsonchildrens.org/Style%20Library/Images/wch/logo.gif”>”>http://wolfsonchildrens.org/style%20library/images/wch/logo.gif”=””>”>http://wolfsonchildrens.org/Style%20Library/Images/wch/logo.gif”>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.  Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/30/2022 12:47:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Blinatumomab, Dinutuximab, and Other Biotherapy Nurse Staffing Ratios

We staff dinutuximab patients 2:1 (2 patients : 1 nurse) while the chimeric is infusing.  We staff 3:1 in between doses if patient is stable.

For Blin, we staff 2:1 for initial infusion and until patient is deemed stable

Both are driven by frequency of vital signs, dose changes, patient stability and pain control

——————————
    Julie Juno-LaPan, MS,RN-BC, CNML
    Clinical Nursing Director 7 East
    Pediatric PHO/BMT
    CS Mott Children’s Hospital
    Ann Arbor, MIchigan
    USA
    (734)763-4515

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-30-2022 11:38 AM

Hi Alyssa,

I’m in the very same boat right now defending all of our staffing ratios, but especially anything 2:1. I have not been able to find much at all in regards to staffing ratios for pediatric oncology patients, much less staffing ratios for specific therapies, in a literature review. The comments I’ve found here have been my best resource so far, but if you find others, please share!

We put Dinatuxumab patients in a 2:1 assignment, though staffing constraints continue to make that very challenging. They are usually on a ketamine drip with our pain team managing that component.  Our blinatumomab patients we staff in a 3:1 ratio. I hope you get a robust number of responses to this thread because benchmarking would be helpful!

——————————
    Erin Jones, MHA, BSN, RN, CCRN-K | Patient Services Manager III
    5 Children’s | Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplant, and Cardiology
    NC Children’s Hospital
    UNC Health
    Chapel Hill, NC

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-30-2022 07:34 AM

Hello everyone!
    I am the assistant nurse manager at Hackensack UMC in Hackensack, NJ and I am looking for documentation to support my inpatient unit’s 1:2 nurse:patient staffing ratio for blinatumomab, dinutuximab, and other biotherapy infusions.  I am in the process of conducting a literature search but not having much luck.  Would you mind sharing your hospital name and pediatric biotherapy infusion staffing ratios (specifically blina & dinutux if possible)?  Also, if anyone has literature to support lower staffing ratios for these infusions I would sincerely appreciate it!  Thank you in advance!!

——————————
    Alyssa Henderson, RN, BSN, CPHON
    Inpatient Peds Heme/Onc/BMT Assistant Nurse Manager
    Hackensack, NJ
    ——————————