Reply To: Desensitization

• Tracy Dankanich

October 7, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Hi Ryan,

In our system, we have a few PICU RNs whom have completed Aphon course for biotherapy and some have completed BMT class and spent a month on a BMT unit for experience with BMT pts.

This enables the PICU trained RNs to administer while pts are in the ICU and also provides familiarity if pt requires a second PICU admission along with any critical care needs pts may have.

Only occasionally do Hem/Onc nurses have to come to PICU ,only when Aphon trained PICU nurses are not available. 

Any further insight I can provide I would be happy to

Tracy

——————————
    Tracy L Dankanich
    RN BSN CCRN
    Buffalo, NY
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-06-2022 03:18 PM
    Subject: Desensitization

Hi all,

It seems like this question has been asked in the past, but I would love to get some more current answers than were on the previous threads. When we identify the need for a patient to get a chemo desensitization, their initial dose is given in the PICU, but 2 Heme/Onc RNs are required to hang each bag and depending on the agent: flush and take down the bag (sometimes the protocol calls for up to 4 bags) which is very resource intensive and leaves the floor short for a considerable amount of time.

My question is, if a patient receives a successful first desensitization in the ICU, do any institutions perform subsequent desensitization protocols on the heme/onc unit? Is there a certain number of “successful” desensitizations that must be done before considering moving them to the floor? And what ratios do you staff the patient in… 2:1, 1:1? Just looking to benchmark what other institutions are doing so we can try to optimize our resource utilization.

Thanks,
    Ryan​

——————————
    Ryan Profetto, BSN, RN, CPHON, BMTCN
    Clinical Nurse II
    UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
    Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplant
    San Francisco, CA
    ——————————