Reply To: Inpatient Nurse Navigator Role?

• Audrey Moore

December 13, 2022 at 9:17 am

Hello Pamela, 

My role as a patient navigator is based inpatient but is staffed by the outpatient oncology clinic. I educate newly diagnosed patients and provide a treatment calendar and medication schedule. We go on a clinic tour so I can show them where to park and what our clinic looks like. On our way back, we stop at the outpatient pharmacy to pick up their discharge medications so they know where to come for future medication fills.

I also provide device education for inpatient oncology and hematology kids (i.e., PICC/Broviac line maintenance, NG tubes, CADD pumps for Blina, etc.). I attend daily table rounds and do follow-up phone calls for any heme-onc patient that was discharged. When not busy with the rest, I participate in committee meetings, resource on the unit and help hang chemotherapy of the unit.

Hope this helps!

——————————
    Audrey Moore, BSN, RN, CPN, CPHON
    Hematology Oncology Patient Navigator
    Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-13-2022 07:42 AM
    Subject: Inpatient Nurse Navigator Role?

Do any of your institutions utilize an inpatient Nurse Navigator role? 
    We are looking at a position that would follow all newly diagnosed oncology inpatients from admission to first time discharge with responsibilities including ongoing patient family education, discharge med rec and review, updating home care agencies etc. 
    Do any if you have this position presently? 
    If so, can you describe their title, responsibilities, and does this position fall as direct or indirect patient care for your staffing plan?
    Thank you
    Pam Dockx, BSN, RN, CPON
    Boston Children’s