Reply To: Inpatient Nurse Navigator Role?

• Emily Padgett

December 13, 2022 at 10:28 am

I work as the inpatient navigator but am staffed by the outpatient clinic.  I begin the day by participating in physician rounds and rounding on patients.  The rest of the day consists of assisting with procedures (LPs and bone marrows), providing new diagnosis teaching to families, coordinating imaging, making appointments, and working as a resource for floor staff when they have chemotherapy questions.  I also setup home care needs, such as DME equipment, flush supplies, and feeding supplies.  On patient discharge, I cover home teaching and create medication calendars.  I send an email following each patient discharge to the outpatient navigator responsible for the patient, to allow flow of communication.

——————————
    Emily Padgett, RN, BSN, CPN,CPHON
    Inpatient Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurse Navigator
    University of Kentucky
    Lexington, KY
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-13-2022 07:42 AM
    Subject: Inpatient Nurse Navigator Role?

Do any of your institutions utilize an inpatient Nurse Navigator role? 
    We are looking at a position that would follow all newly diagnosed oncology inpatients from admission to first time discharge with responsibilities including ongoing patient family education, discharge med rec and review, updating home care agencies etc. 
    Do any if you have this position presently? 
    If so, can you describe their title, responsibilities, and does this position fall as direct or indirect patient care for your staffing plan?
    Thank you
    Pam Dockx, BSN, RN, CPON
    Boston Children’s