Reply To: APHON Fundamentals

• Carie Murphy

April 25, 2023 at 5:42 am

We do give the APHON Foundations Course & Chemo/Bio to our new Peds Hem/Onc RNs.  We receive very good feedback from the Foundations Course & I do feel it helps the RN understand disease processes, care of the peds hem/onc patient, and nursing care/assessment, etc.  The course is beneficial for so many reasons, in my opinion.  After successfully completing the Chemo/Bio class, each RN has to administer three different chemo agents with a preceptor.  There is a CBO they must complete and sign, along with the preceptor, validating the skills performed, etc.  Hope this helps!

Carie Murphy, MSN, RN, CPON

Peds Hem/Onc/BMT Educator

Wolfson Children’s Hospital

800 Prudential Drive, Weaver Tower 4

Jacksonville, FL  32207

( (904)202-0520

* Carie.Murphy@bmcjax.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://wolfsonchildrens.org/Style%20Library/Images/wch/logo.gif

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.  Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 4/24/2023 7:48:00 PM
    Subject: APHON Fundamentals

The upper management at my Children’s Hospital is talking about cutting our APHON Fundamentals Course and only providing the Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Course.  I’m wondering what other hospitals do for educating their new Heme/Onc nurses.  The Fundamentals Course has so much information in it that I feel it’s necessary but per our hospital policy only the Chemo/Bio course is required.  Also, how do you orient your new nurses to give chemotherapy/biotherapy?  Do you team them up with an experienced nurse for a few shifts or does your clinical preceptors check them all off?  Thanks so much!

——————————
    Shannon Weller, BSN-RN, CPN, CPHON
    Clinical Preceptor – Inpatient Pediatrics
    WVU Medicine Children’s
    Morgantown, WV
    United States
    ——————————