Reply To: APHON Fundamentals

• Mary Lynn Rae

April 25, 2023 at 10:15 am

Hello:

Like a few have said I think that having a foundational knowledge to care for the Hem/Onc/SCT patients is essential, especially for new graduate nurses. They need repetition and the foundation courses build up to being able to give chemo I think; parents/caregivers have a lot of questions always so good to have the background info; and then each disease can have complications etc. so such a good foundation to have overall

For me new grads I do the foundations at week 5 and chemo at week 7

Thanks,

Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn Rae, MSN, RN, NPD-BC, CPHON, BMTCN

Nursing Professional Development (NPD) Practitioner/Clinical Educator Hem/Onc/SCT (LC17/LC18)

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago

T 312.227.4224 | mlrae@luriechildrens.org | luriechildrens.org

225 East Chicago Avenue, Box 248, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2991

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 4/24/2023 7:48:00 PM
    Subject: APHON Fundamentals

The upper management at my Children’s Hospital is talking about cutting our APHON Fundamentals Course and only providing the Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Course.  I’m wondering what other hospitals do for educating their new Heme/Onc nurses.  The Fundamentals Course has so much information in it that I feel it’s necessary but per our hospital policy only the Chemo/Bio course is required.  Also, how do you orient your new nurses to give chemotherapy/biotherapy?  Do you team them up with an experienced nurse for a few shifts or does your clinical preceptors check them all off?  Thanks so much!

——————————
    Shannon Weller, BSN-RN, CPN, CPHON
    Clinical Preceptor – Inpatient Pediatrics
    WVU Medicine Children’s
    Morgantown, WV
    United States
    ——————————