This specialty practice discussion group is intended for nurse educator members of APHON. Remember that... View more
This specialty practice discussion group is intended for nurse educator members of APHON. Remember that anything published in this community can be seen by any member of the community. Please be considerate of the HIPAA Privacy Rule when posting to the community.
I am the Pediatric Nurse Educatorat the Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital in Hershey PA. We moved into our brand new children’s hospital in February and are currently looking to move our unit to more of an IMC heme/onc unit. This will have our nurses doing cardiac monitoring which they currently do not do. I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer a few questions for us about how you run your unit and how you educate your staff.
1. How many beds are on your heme/onc unit? 14
2. What is your nurse to patient ratio? 4:1, 5:1
3. What types of patients do you care for on the heme/onc unit? Are all of the patients on the heme/onc service or do you have other service lines as well? other services as well
4. Do your nurses perform cardiac monitoring for your patients? patient will be transfered to PICU, no cardiac monitoring on floor
5. If yes, what types of patients get cardiac monitored and for what reasons?
6. What are the expectations of the nurses when they are cardiac monitoring? Are you willing to share your policy on cardiac monitoring?
7. What kind of training is done/required before nurses can perform cardiac monitoring?
8. Do patients transfer off your unit and to an IMC/ICU? yes
9. If yes, for what reasons are patients transferred (respiratory status, cardiac status etc.)? yes or increased need for monitoring with a 2:1 ratio
10. What drips do you administer to patients on the heme/onc unit? none
11. Do you have stem cell transplant patients on your unit? no
12. If yes, who administers the Stem Cells on your unit?
13. What is the process for administering stem cells? transfer to an out of town faciliity
14. What kind of training do you provide to nurses prior to deeming them competent to care for SCT patients? Would you be willing to share your nursing policies/education on caring for SCT patients and administering stem cells?
——————————————- Amanda Ebbert Mechanicsburg, PA United States ——————————————-