Reply To: skill validations

• Barbara Hicks

October 17, 2013 at 10:26 am

Our nurses who give chemotherapy must maintain APHON chemotherapy/biotherapy provider status. Each year there compliance with chemotherapy administration/safety is reviewed. I review 3 charts for compliance with the independent double check process. the nurses then also have another chemo provider sign off on an anual competency which validates the process of hanging chemo from start to finish- checks, calculations etc.
    If issues arrise event reports are reviewed by the manager and any pertinent data is given to me and I review the incident with the involved RN. If the event resulted because of disregard for safety practices (ex- no double check, no barcode scanning) the manager and I come up with an action plan. We try to be creative- not punitive. For example one nurse hung post hydration at the incorrect rate after cisplatin. She reviewed several articles on the drug and issues and did an informative poster for the unit to view.

——————————————-
    Barbara Hicks
    Unit based educator
    Bristol, PA
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-17-2013 07:55 AM
    Subject: skill validations

I was wondering what specific skills validations you are doing in your hospital for Hem/Onc and how are you getting those skills done to meet requirements?  self learning, computer, group learning?  Chemotherapy safety?  I would appreciate all input since I am new to this role.  Cathy

——————————————-
    Catherine Reese APRN, BC
    Memorial Hospital of South Bend
    Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
    South Bend, IN
    ——————————————-