Reply To: APHON chemotherapy Provider Course questions

• Amanda Ebbert

January 29, 2014 at 7:57 am

We are also an Peds Teaching Hospital attached to an Adult Teaching Hospital. When I started ONS was the only course offered so when APHON became available, we encouraged our nurses to attend no matter how long they had been giving chemo. I took it and found it to be very beneficial. We do allow ONS certified nurses who are hried to give chemo after some orientation to what we require and encourage them to attend the APHON class the next time we offer it.

——————————————-
    Amanda Ebbert
    Penn State Hershey Medical Center
    Hershey, PA
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-29-2014 07:41 AM
    Subject: APHON chemotherapy Provider Course questions

We are a Pediatric Teaching Hospital attached to an Adult Teaching Hospital.  The adult nurses take the ONS chemotherapy provider course and pediatric nurses take the APHON chemotherapy provider course.  I have recently heard that the adult ONS chemotherapy provider course is going to a 15 hour on line program for new providers as well as for those who renew this year.  Cost varies for this on line course.  

Does anyone know if APHON is looking at doing the same in the next couple of years? 

I ask the below question as a Hem/Onc/BMT nurse that has worked both adult and pediatric and has taken both provider classes.  At this time, I am just addressing the provider courses not any in unit orientation/competencies that might also be applicable.  

If your program hired an adult experienced Hem/Onc/BMT nurse who has been giving chemotherapy for several years with an active adult ONS chemotherapy provider card, does your practice permit this adult nurse to give chemotherapy to pediatric Hem/Onc/BMT patients or do they have to attend APHON chemotherapy provider course to give chemotherapy in your unit? Please provide any rational that you are willing to share for this question.

Thank you for your time and input

Sandra Randall
    Nurse Manager
    Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
    Portland, OR
    United States
    ——————————————-