Reply To: Oncology Orientation

• Colleen Nixon

February 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hi, at Boston Children’s Hospital, our orientation program for experienced oncology/SCT nurses lasts about 9 weeks. The RN is scheduled for about 1 week of general orientation (1 day HR, 1.5 day nursing orientation) as well as different general 1 hours nursing orientation classes scheduled throughout each month (VAD, trach care, G-tubes, etc). The oncology RN also cross trains to the SCT unit (vise versa for the SCT RN, cross trains to the oncology unit). An all day oncology and SCT education day is also typically scheduled during their orientation. Almost all of the experienced RNs who have been hired into our program over the past year have been APHON Chemo/Bio providers, so they complete our chemo competency during orientation. If you are interested I could send you an example of one of the new hires calendars. Colleen

——————————————-
    Colleen Nixon
    Boston, MA
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 02-17-2014 07:36 AM
    Subject: Oncology Orientation

This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: APHON Open Forum and Pediatric Chemotherapy Biotherapy Instructors .
    ——————————————-
    We are looking to see what other institutions are doing to orient experienced RNs to oncology.  I would specifically like to know how long the orientation lasts, how many shifts with a preceptor and any clinical pathways that are used.

I have seen responses from Mary Lynn Rae and Patricia Conlon and would appreciate more responses from other institutions in order to gain a good idea of what the standard of practice is.  Thank you in advance for your response.

——————————————-
    Robin McCune
    Pediatric Heme/Onc Clinician
    Medical City Dallas Hospital
    Coppell, TX
    United States
    ——————————————-