Reply To: Securing Double Lumen Central Catheters: What Do You Use?

• Mary Jean Howitt

October 24, 2014 at 5:42 am

We use the dialysis statlock product as well.

——————————————-
    Mary Jean Howitt
    Levels of Care Coordinator
    IWK Health Center
    Halifax, NS
    Canada
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-23-2014 05:49 PM
    Subject: Securing Double Lumen Central Catheters: What Do You Use?

For the last 3 years my department has used a Statlock brand device called “Statlock-Dialysis-Butterfly” to secure our double lumen “hickmans” outside of the sterile dressing, to prevent the catheter from twisting, and weakening the integrity of the plastic above the “triangle”(where both catheters join into one).

We have been using this “off-label” as the product is only approved for dialysis catheters.  It works great, and we have seen a reduction in the breakages of our double lumen hickmans.  The patients and families feel more secure with it.

Because we did this off-label, we are unable to expand the use of this product to other departments, as homecare will not supply because insurance won’t reimburse for it.  (Currently it is charged to the patient as part of their hospital stay or clinic visit).

I’m asking if you can share what your hospital does to prevent the twisting of the double lumen hickmans, and what it does to secure it to the chest.  I’m a little dissapointed that we can’t expand its use here, as I’ve witnessed it save a line from being pulled out on a wild toddler! 

And I completely apologize for this giant pic:

Thank you for your time.
    Sheila Tobin

——————————————-
    Sheila Tobin
    Rady Children’s Hospital of San Diego
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    ——————————————-