Reply To: Consents and Vincristine Laden Platelets

• Maritza Salazar Abshire

August 25, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Hello All,

I’ve attached a couple of articles I’ve found on Vincristine Laden platelets.  Both articles are pretty old (2006 and 1984).  This may shed some light as to why and how they are utilized.  We’ll be taking the subject to our Medical Safety Committee to discuss the need for a chemo consent in addition to the blood consent.

Again, any thoughts or experience with this would be appreciated.

-Maritza

——————————
    [Maritza] [Salazar-Abshire], [MSN, MED, RN, CPON]
    [Senior Nursing Instructor]
    [The Children’s Cancer Hospital at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center]
    [Houston], [Texas]
    [USA]
    ——————————

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-25-2015 01:18 PM
    Subject: Consents and Vincristine Laden Platelets

Is there a research article that this is based off of?

——————————
    Mary Lynn Rae, CPHON, MSN, RN
    Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
    Chicago, IL
    United States
    ——————————

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-24-2015 07:03 PM

I checked with our team here and no one has ever heard of doing that.  One person brought up the concern that the FDA does not allow “anything” to infuse with platelets.  If you have any information on this practice, would love to see it.

Thanks. Kathy

——————————

——————————

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-22-2015 02:18 PM

hello all!

We recently had a physician write for vincristine laden platelets for a patient who is refractory to platelet transfusions. Our Chemo policy does not address this blood product specifically as a circumstance where a chemo consent is needed, the blood product consent does not address this either. As the vincristine in these platelets may cause or intensify neuropathies related to vinca alkaloids (we have seen this happen in our adult population) does your institution require a chemo consent for vincristine laden platelets? Any thoughts, replies or help would be appreciated as I am trying to benchmark prior to bringing the issue to our institutional medication safety committee. 

Thanks so much!!

-Maritza

——————————
    [Maritza] [Salazar-Abshire], [MSN, MED, RN, CPON]
    [Senior Nursing Instructor]
    [The Children’s Cancer Hospital at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center]
    [Houston], [Texas]
    [USA]
    ——————————