Reply To: Nurse Education Patient Advocacy

• Amy Haskamp

February 5, 2016 at 5:00 pm

The ELNEC curriculum is not through APHON, but rather thru City of Hope and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.  APHON has sponsored an ELNEC course in the past.  The

ELNEC curriculum is a training course, not a certification or conference.  The curriculum covers palliative and end-of-life care and does contain a communication module aimed to assist in helping the nurse better understand how to communicate with families.  It is a two day course and also covers pain and symptom management, care at end-of-life, bereavement, and cultural/ethical/legal issues.  I think the ELNEC curriculum is a great starting point to help nurses better understand palliative and end-of-life care and to feel better prepared to advocate for our patients and families.  There are training courses thru the ELNEC team, you can find more information at http://www.aacn.nche.edu/elnec

You can often find trainers locally in your area to provide the education to your nurses, or you may wish to send one or two to an ELNEC course to then come back and train the rest of your staff.  I am an ELNEC trainer and often teach at the summits as noted on the website above.  I am happy to answer any questions you have about the curriculum if you think this may be helpful to your nurses.

Hope this helps!

Amy

Amy Corey Haskamp, MSN, RN, PCNS-BC, CPON, CHPPN

Pediatric Palliative Care

Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health Hospital

705 Riley Hospital Dr. Rm. 3039

Indianapolis, IN  46202

Office (317) 944-3600

Pager (317) 312-4773

Fax (317) 963-5446

ahaskamp@iuhealth.org  

Discover the strength at iuhealth.org.

——Original Message——

I’m not sure the full curriculum but the ELNEC certification/conference through APHON is all about end of life care.

Sent from my iPhone