Reply To: Flushing Chemotherapy

• Cara Johnson

May 9, 2018 at 8:38 am

​We also do not include the flush into the rate. We flush with 16ml NS afterwards. Our pharmacy primes our lines to the end.

——————————
    Cara Johnson RNIII, BSN, CPON®
    Clinical Manager
    Hematology/Oncology Inpatient
    Cincinnati Childrens Hospital
    cara.johnson@cchmc.org
    Work: (513)803-0306
    Cell: (513) 490-9253
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 05-09-2018 08:27 AM
    Subject: Flushing Chemotherapy

We flush at the same rate/hour that the chemo is infusing but always flush with the priming volume of the tubing + a little bit more.  If you are using Alaris, the standard priming volume is ~26 mL so we flush with 30 mL post. 

Mary Lynn Rae, MSN, RN, CPHON

Clinical Educator Hem/Onc/SCT & VAT

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago

T 312.227.4224 | mlrae@luriechildrens.org | luriechildrens.org

225 East Chicago Avenue, Box 248, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2991

image002.png@01CEAFCE.66E28C90image003.png@01CEAFCE.66E28C90 image005.png@01CEAFCE.66E28C90 image006.png@01CEAFCE.66E28C90 image007.png@01CEAFCE.66E28C90

Original Message——

I wanted to reach out to my colleagues at other institution to see what the current practice is for flushing chemotherapy administered in a bag. Our current practice is to infuse the chemo at the rate ordered, not figuring the volume of the flush into the rate. Once the chemo infusion is completed, we flush the IV tubing with 20 mLs of NS or compatible fluid at the same rate the chemotherapy was infused. An hour infusion in reality is an 1.5 hours with the flush. I wanted to see if any other organization configure the volume of the chemo flush into the rate of administration (so an hour infusion is truly an hour infusion) or if our current practice is the standard. Thank you very much in advance for your response, much appreciated!

——————————
    Andrea Omsberg BSN, RN, CPHON
    Hematology/Oncology Clinical Nurse Educator
    Rady Children’s Hospital
    San Diego, CA
    ——————————