Reply To: CAR T Therapy

• Courtney Erickson

July 15, 2019 at 11:04 am

Heather,

If you will be doing the commercial CAR-T,  Kymriah, I know they have a ton of education on their website (especially the REMs training). We also do trials at our site and require education on these as well. One of our NP’s put together a slide show that we present to RN’s as well as multiple binders on their inpatient unit that they can refer to. Every RN that is going to infuse the cells must be signed off. We are giving two more lectures in August and September to inpatient RN staff for educational purposes. Most of the education we have given has been a brief background on what CAR-T therapy is followed by what to monitor for. Since the bedside RNs are frontline, we have made sure they know what to look for and what to report. Documentation is also important so we have gone over the different neuro assessment tools used. 

Hope this helps!

——————————
    Courtney Erickson, BSN, RN
    Cancer Cell Therapy Nurse Coordinator
    Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford
    Bass Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Diseases
    725 Welch Rd #150
    Palo Alto, CA 94304
    cerickson@stanfordchildrens.org
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-09-2019 01:57 PM
    Subject: CAR T Therapy

​My hospital is going to hopefully begin to offer CAR T therapy in the next few months.  I am preparing education for our nurses but wanted to see what other institutions had included in their nursing education.  If anyone is willing to share what they used for education on CAR T I would be forever appreciative.

——————————
    Heather Hartlage, MSN,RN,CPON
    Clinical Nurse Education
    Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care and Renal Center
    Norton Children’s Hospital
    Louisville, KY United States
    ——————————