Reply To: Stool on IV tubing

• Tricia Stanton

September 12, 2019 at 9:55 am

Many of you may have seen the post that Kristen posted on the main community board but just in case you did not I am copying and pasting it here. I also do not receive ANY kickbacks for promoting this product – no industry affiliation.  We absolutely love this product on our unit!

Hi, Everyone-
    There was a discussion post in the “Nurse Educators” community about stool on IV lines.  I wanted to share a product we (Duke Children’s) are using to protect lines called the Line Snuggler. I do not receive ANY kickbacks from promoting this product- no industry affiliation for me.  BUT the product was created by a PBMT nurse and has been tested for safety here at Duke!  The testing was to prove that the snuggler was safe to use and assess consumer satisfaction.  We don’t have statistical data on clabsi prevention yet, but I can tell you that anecdotally the Line Snugglers dropped our CLABSI rate from 9 in fiscal year 2018 (July 2017-June 2018) to 3 in fiscal year 2019 (July 2018-June 2019).  Our process is that we give patients 2 Line Snugglers on admission for transplant.  There are instructions included on how to wash the snuggler.  We give them 2 so that you can keep one on the patient’s lines when you are washing the other one.  We wash the snuggler every 3 days (timed with tubing change) and/or if soiled.

Here’s the website if you are interested in getting a sample: Home | Line SnugglerHome | Line Snuggler  or you can email them at info@linesnugglers.com.  We were able to complete a trial and then get them approved for purchase through our hospital Procurement department.  We obtain via a purchase order, but they can also be ordered via credit card.  Please reach out if you want more info!!!  We think this product is GAME CHANGING!!!!

——————————
    Kristen Ammon, MSN, RN
    Nurse Manager
    Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant inpatient unit and clinic/Valvano Day Hospital
    Duke Children’s
    Durham, NC
    ——————————​

——————————
    Tricia Stanton, BSN, RN, CPN, CNIV
    Clinical Team Lead
    Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Unit
    Duke Children’s
    Durham, NC
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-05-2019 05:56 PM
    Subject: Stool on IV tubing

Hi all,

I would like to know if other hospitals have developed a set cleaning guideline when stool accidentally lands on IV tubing/caps.
    Any information would be helpful. Thank you!

Stephanie

——————————
    Stephanie Davis, BSN RN CPHON
    BMT Clinical Educator
    Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
    ——————————