Reply To: Continuing Education

• Maritza Salazar Abshire

May 20, 2020 at 2:15 pm

hi Mary Lynn,

just saw you posted a similar question to the one I  posted today.  

my answers to your questions:

Posted 04-13-2020 01:02 PM
    Hello All:

Just trying to use more virtual technologies.  Our hospital/nurse educators are not allowed to use ZOOM as it not secure and we do not have a hospital approved account, we currently just have SKYPE.  A couple of questions
    1. What virtual hospital based system do you use?–right now we have Web-Ex and Skype for business, we have been using Web-Ex for our New Nurse Orientation but not sure if that is the best platform for a CE that may be longer than one hour. 
    2. When you hold ongoing education sessions for staff (i.e. maybe a 60 min contact hour event that is voluntary to attend) are the staff paid to attend if they come in?  yes, haven’t tackled the attend from home situation yet.  our new nurse oreintees are being paid when attending orientation virtually. they web stamp for attendance
    3.  What do you do for ongoing education for staff on a yearly basis? I have update classes for staff yearly but those were cancelled due to COVID-19–same here so trying to figure out what to do–i sent out a needs assessment to the staff.  it looks like the majority of them would prefer learner paced activities with knowledge assessment at the end. however our new nurse curriculum is heavy on the Foundations Course, Stem Cell Course and of course the Chemo Bio course.  I conducted a Chemo/Bio course in March that was web-ex it, although not ideal it worked. 

Our hospital is in downtown Chicago and the parking is challenging so it is hard to get staff to come in for 1 hour contact hour events but with COVID 19 thinking of doing some ongoing education a couple times per month via electronic virtual formats just also just wondering about the pay.

Stay safe nurse warriors!

MLR

——————————
    Maritza Salazar-Abshire, MSN, MED, RN, CPON
    Senior Nursing Instructor
    The Children’s Cancer Hospital at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
    Houston, Texas
    USA
    713-745-0383
    msalaza@mdanderson.org
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 04-13-2020 01:01 PM
    Subject: Continuing Education

Hello All:

Just trying to use more virtual technologies.  Our hospital/nurse educators are not allowed to use ZOOM as it not secure and we do not have a hospital approved account, we currently just have SKYPE.  A couple of questions
    1. What virtual hospital based system do you use?
    2. When you hold ongoing education sessions for staff (i.e. maybe a 60 min contact hour event that is voluntary to attend) are the staff paid to attend if they come in?
    3.  What do you do for ongoing education for staff on a yearly basis? I have update classes for staff yearly but those were cancelled due to COVID-19

Our hospital is in downtown Chicago and the parking is challenging so it is hard to get staff to come in for 1 hour contact hour events but with COVID 19 thinking of doing some ongoing education a couple times per month via electronic virtual formats just also just wondering about the pay.

Stay safe nurse warriors!

MLR

——————————
    Mary Lynn Rae, MSN, RN, CPHON
    NPD Practitioner/Clinical Educator Hem/Onc/SCT
    Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
    312-227-4224
    mlrae@luriechildrens.org
    225 East Chicago Avenue,
    Chicago, Illinois 60611-2991
    ——————————