Reply To: Vesicant drug administration

• Louis Ruggiero

July 27, 2020 at 12:36 pm
    ​I am also interested in the responses on this inquiry. We are looking to create a guideline for administration of vesicants via PIV as well and are interested in other institutional guidelines.

Thanks for the question Loucine!
    Lou

I am also interested in the responses on this inquiry. We are also looking to create a guideline for administration of vesicants via PIVs and are interested in other institutional guidelines. 

Thanks for the question Loucine!
    Lou

——————————
    Louis Ruggiero, MSN, RN, CPHON
    Clinical Educator – Infusion Center
    Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
    lruggiero@chla.usc.edu
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-27-2020 06:25 AM
    Subject: Vesicant drug administration

Dear members,

We are reviewing our chemotherapy/hazardous drug policy. With regards to vesicant drug administration, the infusion therapy standards of practice recommend peripherally infused vesicants to be administered free-flowing, up to a maximum of 60 minutes. In addition, they recommend that nurses “remain with the patient for the entire infusion”. The latter part is a little time-inefficient, since we cannot afford for the bedside RN to remain up to a whole hour with the patient (i’m thinking of our infusion unit staffing!).

Does anyone have any practices they can share, and any literature to support?

——————————
    Loucine Kaplanian, RN
    ——————————