Reply To: SIP accessing in emergency department

• Sandi Knight

April 29, 2020 at 1:21 pm

We try not to send our patients to the ED at all. We have an UCB (Urgent Care Bay) in our clinic staffed by a provider and a RN who see any patient that needs urgent care (between the hours of 8-6). This is in an effort to get them care quicker, by an oncology provider and to avoid someone who is inexperienced using the line. I know that’s not what you are asking but I thought I’d share.​

——————————
    Sandi Knight, MSN
    Assistant Clinical Director
    Texas Children’s Hospital
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 04-28-2020 05:06 PM
    Subject: SIP accessing in emergency department

​Hello,

Over the years, we have heard consistent feedback from our patients and families concerning their distress associated with having their port accessed by a nurse who isn’t as familiar with ports as hem/onc nurses. In response to their feedback, we have implemented hem/onc nurses accessing ports within the ED. Although adding this step has greatly improved patient satisfaction and decreased levels of distress about ED visits, it has negatively impacted our TTA metrics.

Are any other programs sending hem/onc nurses to the ED or elsewhere to access ports? If so, has it impacted your TTA? If so, have you found solutions that have been beneficial in ensuring patients receive antibiotics quickly?

Thank you,

——————————
    Mindy Bibart, MSN RN CPHON NE-BC CSSBB
    Director of Patient Care Services, Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplant
    Nationwide Children’s Hospital
    Columbus, OH
    ——————————