Reply To: Stem Cell Transplant Model of Care in outpatient clinic-Pre transplant work-up

• Kristen Mendez

October 26, 2020 at 2:36 pm

Hi Barbara,

We have a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant Coordinator who is an APRN. She works with the BMT physicians to ensure the pre-transplant work-up is completed. She reports to me (I am the Outpatient Nurse Manager). We do about 25-30 transplants per year (auto and allo). She is responsible for the coordination of all of these patients. 

Hope this helps! Happy to connect you if you would like more information.

Thanks,

Kristen Mendez, MSN APRN CPNP-AC CPHON BMTCN
    Manager for the Infusion Unit, Outpatient Cancer Center & Survivorship Program
    Cancer & Blood Disorders Center
    T 786.624.4629
    M 305.206.1406
    E kristen.mendez@nicklaushealth.org
    W http://www.NicklausChildrens.org/Cancer

——————————
    Kristen Mendez, BSN,RN
    Cutler Bay, FL
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-06-2020 02:42 PM
    Subject: Stem Cell Transplant Model of Care in outpatient clinic-Pre transplant work-up

Hi,

I am looking to gather information on what your model of care is for SCT patients being worked up for transplant. Who is involved in coordinating their care and what is the reporting structure? We currently have a model that involves mostly non-clinical staff coordinating care with the primary MD involvement and know that many centers have nurses assisting or completely responsible for coordination of the pre-transplant work up.

• Questions:
      • Who is responsible for your pre-transplant work-up coordination?
      • Do you have NPs or a NP responsible solely for pre-transplant care?
      • If you have nurses involved in the pre-transplant work-up do they report up to a nurse manager/director or administrator?
      • How many transplants do you do a year?
      • How many patients is a coordinator responsible for at one time?

Happy to speak directly with anyone who is able to discuss.

Thanks,
    Barb Cuccovia
    barbara_cuccovia@dfci.harvard.edu

——————————
    Barbara Cuccovia, BMTCN,CPON,MSN,RN
    Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
    United States
    ——————————