Reply To: Travel Hem Onc Nurses

• Mindy Bibart

December 14, 2020 at 8:04 am

While it isn’t a common practice, our inpatient hem/onc/bmt unit employed some specialty specific travel nurses over the years. Last Winter, we had a considerable increase in census and acuity and needed extra resources while we hired and onboarded permanent staff. Generally we rely on supplemental nursing help from our internal float pool; however, last year’s RSV season was difficult and we were short of float pool nurses too. While the travel nurses were a considerable expense, they were essential in helping us safely care for the influx of hem/onc/bmt patients. We employed four ravel nurses and I was very pleased with each of their performance and engagement. We would have been in real trouble without them. Hopefully we will be able to respond to changes in our clinical environment with permanent staff. If not, I would have no reservations contracting with travel nurses.

——————————
    Mindy Bibart, MSN RN CPHON NE-BC CSSBB
    Director of Patient Care Services, Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplant
    Nationwide Children’s Hospital
    Columbus, OH
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-13-2020 04:37 PM
    Subject: Travel Hem Onc Nurses

I’ve done a lot of travel nursing until recently.  Let me know if you have any questions from a travel nurse perspective. Based on my experiences, all the facilities I have been to have been very happy with travel nurses

Lisa Miller, BSN, MSN, OCN, RN
    Pittsburgh, PA

Original Message:
    Sent: 12/13/2020 5:35:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Travel Hem Onc Nurses

I’ve done a lot of travel nursing until recently.  Let me know if you have any questions from a travel nurse perspective. Based on my experiences, all the facilities I have been to have been very happy with travel nurses.

——————————
    Lisa Miller, BSN, MSN, OCN, RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    United States
    ——————————

Original Message:
    Sent: 12-08-2020 10:32 AM
    Subject: Travel Hem Onc Nurses

Does anyone use travelers at your institution?  If so, what has your experience been and  do you have a specific company that you use?
    Thank you for your time.
    Maureen​

——————————
    Maureen Sanders, CPON,RN
    Oviedo, FL
    United States
    ——————————