Reply To: Hiring for Straight Nights

• Cara Johnson

June 1, 2021 at 5:57 pm

Hello,
      We don’t do a lot of hiring into straight nights. Only have staff have experience or show a really strong drive for it. We do 14 weeks of orientation for new grads. Chemo training right away. When staff want straight days they are put on a “list” and it is by seniority. I enjoy having people work rotating at first and have for the past 10 years as a manager but the hospital really wants to move away from this. I feel it gives a nice respect for both shifts however several staff really struggle flipping back and forth.

——————————
    Cara Johnson RNIII, BSN, CPON®
    Clinical Manager
    Hematology/Oncology Inpatient
    Cincinnati Childrens Hospital
    cara.johnson@cchmc.org
    Work: (513)803-0306
    Cell: (513) 490-9253
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 05-18-2021 05:21 PM
    Subject: Hiring for Straight Nights

Hello all,
    Currently at PCH our hiring practice is to hire into a rotating schedule, doing both days and nights, with a percentage of your shifts having to be nights/weekends.  We have struggled meeting our needs for nights and especially weekend nights.  The hospital is looking at changing practices and starting to hire into straight nights and we are trying to figure a few things out, especially where skill and experience are concerned.  I would love to know what all of your current practices are.

If you hire to straight nights:
    1. How long is your orientation process for new grads and those with little experience?
    2. Do you train to chemo administration upon hire or later on?  What about BMT?
    3. What are your differentials for nights, weekends and weekend nights?
    4. What is your process for when staff can/want to move to straight days?

Does anyone hire into a rotating format?

Thanks everyone!

——————————
    Tristyn M. Kruger BSN, RN, CPHON
    Assistant Nurse Manager | Cancer Transplant Unit
    Primary Children’s Hospital
    100 N. Mario Capecchi Drive
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84113
    Work: 801.662.4571 |Tristyn.Staley@imail.org

——————————