Reply To: gloves for home administration of oral chemotherapy

• Bethany Zimpelman

December 24, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I had some emails asking to see our chemo kits, sorry for the delay. I was trying to get a good photo (attached).

We use a lunch bag to contain everything: a laminated surface to keep everything on a clean surface, wipes, pill box, pill cutter/crusher (if needed), chemo gloves, masks and Ziploc bags (in case of crushing/cutting). We also include a chemo safe handling sheet. A prescription for chemo gloves, masks and any additional supplies is provided. Our local pharmacy is used to the orders and keep a stock of multiple sizes on hand – we’ve had good luck with Medicaid and most insurance companies covering the cost. 

Funding is helped by our Family Support Services.

~b

——————————————-
    Bethany Zimpelman, CPON,MSN
    Staff RN
    Chugiak, AK
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-09-2014 12:43 PM
    Subject: gloves for home administration of oral chemotherapy

We do provide chemotherapy gloves and a oral chemotherapy kit at discharge. The family also is given a perscription for chemo gloves (they are told to use them with diaper changes too). Medicaid has always paid, a few private insurance companies have not.

Please let me know if you have further questions bethany.zimpelman@providence.org
    ——————————————-
    Bethany Zimpelman
    Staff RN
    The Children’s Hospital at Providence Alaska
    United States
    ——————————————-

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-09-2014 12:22 PM
    Subject: gloves for home administration of oral chemotherapy

This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Outpatient Staff Clinic Issues and APHON Open Forum .
    ——————————————-
    Do you provide your families with chemotherapy gloves to administer oral chemotherapy at home? If so,do you provide them at discharge or do you give them a prescription to obtain? If you give them a prescription are they successful in getting them paid for by insurance? If you have a policy in place I would be very interested in obtaining a copy. Please feel free to email me at cmaxen@chmca.org. Thanks for your help

——————————————-
    Charlene Maxen RN PPCNP-BC
    Case Manager
    Akron Children’s Hospital
    Mogadore, OH
    United States
    ——————————————-