Reply To: Infusion Center Questions

• Angela Tidwell

August 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I contacted our Resource Nurse in the Medicine Room (Infusion Center) at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to help with your questions regarding Infusion Centers.

1. Do you us an acuity classification system? (ours is Quadramed). We are currently not tracking acuities. We had a system developed in house that I can forward to you. 
    2. Do you have a general rule of how often vital signs and assessments are obtained and recorded? The medicine room (outpatient infusion center) does not perform routine assessments ie,  or vital signs unless warranted by chemo ie.  Etoposide vitals are taken pre, 15 minutes and post ; blood products pre, 15 minutes and post. I.e. standard of care such as Q4 hours or on admission and at discharge or at the end of the infusion? Do you write a note prior to discharge? No medicine room fills out a chemo form and/or a blood product transfusion form in the computer otherwise we only fill out a nursing note for a specific event such as a reaction or specific problem.
    3. How often do you assess and document patients receiving Cytoxan with 4-6 hours of post-hydration? We do not do scheduled assessments except for vital signs pre, 15 minutes, and post for Asparaginase, etoposide, brentuximab, bevacizumab (or other chemotherapy regimens that do not have a high incidence of allergic reactions)? And what do you document? VS, head to toe assessment? Vital signs
    4. For those of you that have enzyme patients, (i.e. cerezyme or fabrazyme), how often are you re-assessing and taking vital signs? We do not see those type of patients
    5. For patients receiving actemra or orencia, how often do you record assessments and vital signs? We do not have patients receiving those meds.

If you have additional questions, please let me know. You can reach me at angie.Tidwell@stjude.org

——————————
    Angela Tidwell, MSN,RN
    St Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    Memphis, TN
    United States
    ————————————————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-10-2015 07:00 PM
    Subject: Infusion Center Questions

Hello:

Here are some infusion center questions

1. Do you us an acuity classification system? (ours is Quadramed).

2. Do you have a general rule of how often vital signs and assessments are obtained and recorded? I.e. standard of care such as Q4 hours or on admission and at discharge or at the end of the infusion? Do you write a note prior to discharge?

3. How often do you assess and document patients receiving Cytoxan with 4-6 hours of post-hydration? (or other chemotherapy regimens that do not have a high incidence of allergic reactions)? And what do you document? VS, head to toe assessment?

4. For those of you that have enzyme patients, (i.e. cerezyme or fabrazyme), how often are you re-assessing and taking vital signs?

5. For patients receiving actemra or orencia, how often do you record assessments and vital signs?

——————————
    Mary Lynn Rae, CPHON,MSN,RN
    Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
    Chicago, IL
    United States
    ——————————