Reply To: outpatient chemo calendar

• Kathryn Davenport

December 8, 2020 at 3:25 pm
    Hello fellow Onc Nurses and APP’s

I am one of our NP’s in our outpatient clinic and we are looking to add a chemo calendar to our outpatient teaching/AVS to really reinforce the DC instructions and complex medication schedules. My questions to the group are:
    -do you use an outpatient chemo calendar and if so is it a program? blank calendar? embedded in your epic AVS?  Yes, we do offer these (especially with our new leuks or more complex home med regimens) and continue to offer them unless the family informs us they don’t use them or no longer want them.  We utilize a blank monthly calendar template that we found on the WinCalendar website (https://www.wincalendar.com/word-calendar-templates) as we do not have a program for this.  We do copy and paste the created calendars into their note in Epic and print out a copy for the family to take home as well.
    -who enters the information- nursing? APP? MD?  These calendars are created by the Clinic nurses (we have an additional nurse double check each calendar against their Epic Med list and their roadmap for final approval before we give to the patient/family).  
    -how do you get that info to the patient? when they leave clinic? who gives it to the family?  We assign a clinic nurse as primary for each new oncology pt, that nurse typically does an education session for new diagnosis teaching during their initial admission with the patient/families and this calendar is usually given to the family at that education session prior to discharge.  we usually instruct patients/families to cross off/initial each scheduled dose of medication as it is administered and also encourage them to keep track of each PRN dose administered on that calendar as well and bring to future clinic appointments to help track s/s control and how frequently they are needed supportive meds.
    -any other pearls of wisdom is appreciated
    I like to use a variety of colored highlighters (or markers) and highlight each med (all doses) in a different color.  Then I also highlight their APHON med sheet in the matching color so they have a quick visual reference when reviewing at home.

Katie Davenport RN, BSN, CPHON
    Nursing Program Coordinator

Blank Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center
    Unity Point Health-Des Moines
    1215 Pleasant St, Ste. 514
    Des Moines, IA 50309
    Ph. 515-241-8912
    Fax: 515-241-8988

This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, and contain information intended for the specified individual(s) only. This information is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12/3/2020 5:46:00 PM
    Subject: outpatient chemo calendar

​​Hello fellow Onc Nurses and APP’s

I am one of our NP’s in our outpatient clinic and we are looking to add a chemo calendar to our outpatient teaching/AVS to really reinforce the DC instructions and complex medication schedules. My questions to the group are:
    -do you use an outpatient chemo calendar and if so is it a program? blank calendar? embedded in your epic AVS?
    -who enters the information- nursing? APP? MD?
    -how do you get that info to the patient? when they leave clinic? who gives it to the family?
    -any other pearls of wisdom is appreciated

Thank you to all!
    Kristin Casey
    APP at AFCH Madison WI

——————————
    Kristin Casey, CPNP,CPON,MS,RN
    Mount Horeb, WI
    United States
    ——————————