Reply To: Stem Cell Transplant Model of Care in outpatient clinic-Pre transplant work-up

• Jennifer Hadjar

May 18, 2021 at 12:48 pm

At my current organization, we are in the process of building a program. At my former, 

• Questions:
    • Who is responsible for your pre-transplant work-up coordination?

Dedicated BMT RN coordinators- all pre testing, donor searches, education, etc. & administrative coordinators- scheduling, insurance, etc. 

• Do you have NPs or a NP responsible solely for pre-transplant care?

Yes- for adults and peds, we had 7 RN coordinators and 5 outpatient BMT NPs

• If you have nurses involved in the pre-transplant work-up do they report up to a nurse manager/director or administrator?

The RNs reported to the director of nursing for oncology (was me) and the admin folks to the admin director 

• How many transplants do you do a year?

We did about 270 adults and 10 peds a year

• How many patients is a coordinator responsible for at one time?

Varied depending on the scope of the coordinator, I would say that 20 active patients is reasonable if there is administrative support.  

——————————
      Jennifer Wolfe, MSN,RN,OCN
      Director of Nursing
      ——————————
      ——————————————-
      Original Message:
      Sent: 10-06-2020 02:42 PM
      Subject: Stem Cell Transplant Model of Care in outpatient clinic-Pre transplant work-up

Hi,

I am looking to gather information on what your model of care is for SCT patients being worked up for transplant. Who is involved in coordinating their care and what is the reporting structure? We currently have a model that involves mostly non-clinical staff coordinating care with the primary MD involvement and know that many centers have nurses assisting or completely responsible for coordination of the pre-transplant work up.

• Questions:
        • Who is responsible for your pre-transplant work-up coordination?
        • Do you have NPs or a NP responsible solely for pre-transplant care?
        • If you have nurses involved in the pre-transplant work-up do they report up to a nurse manager/director or administrator?
        • How many transplants do you do a year?
        • How many patients is a coordinator responsible for at one time?

Happy to speak directly with anyone who is able to discuss.

Thanks,
      Barb Cuccovia
      barbara_cuccovia@dfci.harvard.edu

——————————
      Barbara Cuccovia, BMTCN,CPON,MSN,RN
      Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
      United States
      ——————————