Reply To: Blina and central line

• Amberley Kemic

November 10, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Hello,

At Children’s Wisconsin we’ve used the TJ-500 bags (they are actually made for Joey pumps but we really like them for blina) from Triac Medical (triacmed.com) for many years.  We rent our pumps and get our tubing through InfuSystem (they provide bags too, but my young patients/families didn’t like them so I only use the Infusystem ones with young adult patients) and use the CADD Solis pump with this tubing:

21-7394 Smiths Cadd, 108″, admin set with bag spike flow stop, clamp, .2 micro filter 

We do a ton of blina and of course have had some issues with lines here or there (it’s gonna happen sometimes with active little kids unfortunately), but are happy with this product.  We strictly do 3 and 4 day bags and do NOT do 7 day bags under any circumstances (I do believe the tubing I mentioned above cannot be used with 7 day bags-if I’m remembering correctly, I think InfuSystem told me it could melt the filter).

Hope that’s helpful!

Amberley

Amberley Kemic, BSN, RN

Clinical Research Nurse-Leukemia/Lymphoma Team

MACC Fund Center

Children’s Wisconsin

Mailing Address:  999 N. 92nd St. Suite 525, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Phone: (414) 266-2038 /  Email: akemic@chw.org /  Pager: (414) 907-8468

This message originates from Children’s Wisconsin, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the use of the designated recipient. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, are not to be attributed to Children’s Wisconsin, and may not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message. Thank you.

——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11/10/2021 8:49:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Blina and central line

Hello, 

Our institution follows mostly DFCI protocols for ALL so we are fairly new to using Blina – we have only had 2 patients so far. How are so many of you using the 7 day bag with the preservatives? We were under the impression from Amgen and our pharmacists that 7 day bags should not be used in pediatric patients under a certain kg of body weight because of the preservatives. Obviously a 7 day bag would be much easier! 

Also, can everyone share what kind of backpack and tubing  you are currently using? We have had several issues with our 2 patients with tubing connection breakage. 

Thanks!
    Glenna Swann, BSN, RN, CPHON

——————————
    Glenna Swann, RN
    Coventry, RI
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-10-2021 07:13 AM
    Subject: Blina and central line

All of the above! We typically use the 7 day bag- It really depends on the kid and labs. Most of ours have a dual port- so it’s really a non issue.
    With a single port, we do not use emla with needle changes.

At my prior institution, when I was in adults, if the patient only had a single port, we would place a picc line.

——————————
    Jennifer Hadjar, MSN,RN,OCN
    Director of Nursing
    ——————————

Original Message:
    Sent: 11-09-2021 12:30 PM
    Subject: Blina and central line

We allow our patients to go home during blinatumomab infusions and they return every 3 or 4 days (depending on bag size) for a bag change.  Our patients have mediports so the needle must be changed with the bag change every 7 days.

Currently at our institution we do not allow for anesthetic (Emla) with mediport deaccess and then reaccess to minimize the time of interruption of the blina infusion.   We want to make this less traumatic for our patients so would appreciate any input on practices being used!

Thank you,

Jennifer Vega, APRN
    Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
    Golisano Children’s Hospital of SWFL<o:p></o:p>

——————————
    Jennifer Vega, CPON,FNP-C,RN
    Punta Gorda, FL
    ——————————