Reply To: Central Lines and Heparin

• Amber Sawyer

January 13, 2022 at 12:14 pm

I’m currently evaluating our policy at our institution and struggling to find and any recent evidence supporting the amount of heparin needed or if heparin is even needed at all. 

1. What types of central lines do you use?  And if you could estimate percentage of pts using each line
           Medports  ___93_____%
           Tunneled central lines  ______5____%
            Non-tunneled central lines ______0____%
            PICC’s  ____2_____%  Only short term treatment. If the have ALL and start with a PICC they get a port at consolidation or sooner, us too. 
            Peripheral  __0______% We only have 1 patient we use a peripheral, us too

2. Do you use heparin in your lines? We use 10 units/ ml, 2ml for PICCS each lumen daily when not in use, same for medports if heplocking between meds, and same for tunneled central lines; 100 units/ml 2 ml when deaccesing medports
            Medports Yes/No   YES
            Tunneled central lines  Yes/No  Yes
            Non-tunneled central lines Yes/No N/A
            PICC’s  Yes/No   Yes
            Peripheral Yes/No    No

3. If you are no longer using heparin in lines, when did you stop? N/A

4. Have you noticed any increase in either alteplase usage or central line replacements?
             Alteplase   Yes/No   No ( I feel like stating this will jinx us haha jk)
            Central Line Replacements  Yes/No   No

——————————
    Amber Sawyer, RN,CPHON
    Roanoke, VA
    United States
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-16-2021 01:57 PM
    Subject: Central Lines and Heparin

We are a pediatric hospital in a adult hospital. Our adult programs recently stopped using heparin in medport, and have not used heparin in other central lines for a couple of years. We are interested in finding out what other pediatric hospitals are doing both inpatient and outpatient. I would ask for your assistance in answering the following questions, and I will post the responses for all to see.

1. What types of central lines do you use?  And if you could estimate percentage of pts using each line
           Medports  ________%
           Tunneled central lines  __________%
            Non-tunneled central lines __________%
            PICC’s  _________%
            Peripheral  ________%

2. Do you use heparin in your lines?
            Medports Yes/No
            Tunneled central lines  Yes/No
            Non-tunneled central lines Yes/No
            PICC’s  Yes/No
            Peripheral Yes/No

3. If you are no longer using heparin in lines, when did you stop?

4. Have you noticed any increase in either alteplase usage or central line replacements?
             Alteplase   Yes/No
            Central Line Replacements  Yes/No

Any other comments?

——————————
    Kathy Ackerman, MSN, PCNS-BC
    CNS-Pediatrics
    MSK Kids, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
    NY, NY
    ——————————