Reply To: Outpatient Staff Ratios

• Dawn Mannon

August 18, 2022 at 11:23 am

Outpatient hem/onc acuity is one thing I’ve been interested in for almost 10 years and have done various inquiries about this.

Infusion:  usually each nurse had 3-4 patients depending on acuity.  All PEG and DLI/CAR T infusions are 1:1 at the start

Procedures (LP/BM):  We staff 1 pacu nurse to 1 patient so for 5 procedure patients we have 2 preop nurses, 1 intra and 2 pacu.   They are also accessing ports and giving simple chemo (VCR).

Draw station area (where we access most ports, start most IVS etc) are 4 RNS to about 25-40 patients.

We staff a flex nurse each day that is trained to all areas of clinic:  procedures, IVs

I would love to discuss this more!

——————————
    Dawn Mannon, MSN, RN
    Clinical Manager
    Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
    Phoenix Children’s Hospital
    Phoenix, AZ
    USA
    ——————————
    ——————————————-
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-18-2022 07:11 AM
    Subject: Outpatient Staff Ratios

We definitely staff based on acuity of patients who are going to be coming in for the day.  Say we have 4 patients, but we know they are going to be closer to 1:1 care, we make sure we have extra hands on deck.  We also do other infusions besides chemo/oncology, so we take that into account as well when we are staffing.

——————————
    Krysten James, RN
    Registered Nurse
    Whiting, IN
    United States
    ——————————

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-05-2022 11:49 AM
    Subject: Outpatient Staff Ratios

I am curious about staffing ratios in the outpatient setting.
    What do people use as nurse/patient ratios? Do you base this only on volume or do you factor in acuity, infusion/procedures types, complexity of care, etc?
    Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

——————————
    [Bill] [Copeck],
    [Nurse Manager]
    [St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital]
    [Paterson], [NJ]
    [USA]
    ——————————